RJ Studios has released SideMinder ME2, the 2nd generation of their multi-band Dynamic Stereo Width Maximizer plugin. Here’s what they’re saying:
SideMinder ME2 is a unique stereo enhancement plugin that dynamically maximizes the stereo width of a mix similar to the way a limiter maximizes the amplitude – all while preventing width “over-widening” that can cause phase cancellation when mixed to mono.
SideMinder ME2 now features an external sidechain input that allows new possibilities in mixing applications including the ability to “fit a signal in the mix widthwise”.
SideMinder ME2 is a completely rewritten, 2nd generation of the original SideMinder ME plugin with the following new features:
- User-resizable GUI with automatic 2x scale for high DPI video monitors.
- Numerical values of controls displayed on the GUI.
- Double-click text entry of control values.
- New “Relative” control link mode allows moving all controls in a group up/down while retaining their relative settings.
- Optional stereo sidechain input** that allows modulating the width of the stereo source in complementary response to the varying width of a stereo sidechain source – i.e., “fit it in the mix WIDTHWISE“.
- Improved stereo width limiter algorithm – produces more transparent width control and a wider, more “3D-like”, stereo image.
- Global and individual band Trim controls for level matching.
- Static Width adjust “out” controls allow quick audition of the static width adjustment being applied without having to change width settings.
WHAT DO THE SIDEMINDER PLUGINS ACTUALLY DO?
In the same way that compressors and limiters enhance and control the AMPLITUDE of audio signals the SideMinder 2 plugins enhance and control the WIDTH of stereo signals. For example, pushing up the Width control on the SideMinder plugins is like pushing up the drive control into a limiter. And in the same way that a peak limiter prevents amplitude “overs” the SideMinder plugins prevent WIDTH “overs” where mono compatibility becomes reduced.This is not the same thing as mid/side compression which works on the absolute AMPLITUDES of the mid/side signals. SideMinder works on the relative RATIOs of the mid/side signals while leaving the amplitude of the stereo signal relatively untouched.
**Optional sidechain input requires a stereo signal and is therefore not available on DAWs that only support mono sidechains (such as Pro Tools). Get now